Blog Entries For The Month of January 2018

We have a slab! The builder FINALLY got the slab poured, a month after they framed for it. It took 40 yards of concrete and almost a full day of work to get the job done. The concrete trucks started arriving about 9am and they lined up on Tabernacle Road. We used our new tractor to level off some of the dirt left over from the framing and leveling. Once that was done the first truck came in and started to pour! We chatted with the builder this morning and he initially thought it would take 30 yards of concrete, but it ended up taking 40 yards. I reckon the footers were dug a little deeper than expected because the middle area was right at 4 inches thick. That's pretty standard for a slab pour. We will have 1260 sq.ft. of living area and 1440 sq.ft. total counting the front porch.

Skilled slab crew? The crew that did the actual work pouring the concrete did an excellent job. You could tell they have done this many, many times before. The guided each truck into position and used hand signals to regulate the flow of the concrete and if they needed the truck to move forward or backwards. We got their business card because we will need someone to pour the slab for the workshop when we are ready for it to be built. Here are a the rest of the pictures we took while the slab crew was working. We're excited that this step is complete. We're now anxious for the framing to start so they can get the house "dried in". That means the walls are up and the roof is on. Framing should only take a few days once they get started on it. As always, the weather plays a significant role in when things get done. We're having full sunshine today and tomorrow but rain is expected overmorrow. Anyway, enjoy the pictures and feel free to comment...


A rock bridge... I considered building a normal bridge over the little creek that runs through our property, but since the creek is so small I figured I'd do something else. I bought a dump truck load of rock and had it delivered to the farm. I used our tractor to place them in the creek, and to also carve out the banks a little bit. Although a bit bumpy, this worked great... until it came a torrential rain. My plan was foiled it seems, but I was determined for it to work. I bought a 8" section of 12" drain pipe and placed it in the creek then pushed the rock back over it. My thought was that the creek could flow through this pipe year round and perhaps it would be large enough to handle the water even when it rained. I was so proud of myself!

With these big ol' rocks in this little ol' creek, what could go wrong? I sloped the banks so the tractor could cross easily, and as long and I went slow, it wasn't that bad. I never intended for cars and trucks to be able to get to the other side, it's just a pasture and woods up there. I packed the rocks in nice and tight, they aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Or so I thought.

My Rock Bridge Floods The rains came, and it rained... and it rained... and it rained some more. My rock bridge and 12" pipe were overwhelmed. Water went over the rocks, which is what I intended in the first place but the force of the water moved a lot of the rocks. So now my awesome rock bridge is too narrow, so I donned my rubber boots and waded into the creek (after water receded of course). I picked up each rock that had been moved and put it back where it belonged. This was quite laborious especially for an old gimpy man. Before the next rains came, I bought 10 bags of concrete mix and poured it along the edges and sides of the rocks to hold them firmly in place. I also poured some concrete to make the tire lanes smoother. It is still too narrow of a bridge for vehicles but I'm sure it'll hold anything that will fit on it. Once again, I am proud of myself. Then it flooded again! Never fear, my rocks didn't budge. They all held firmly in place and the flood waters raged over them. All this water rushing over the rocks dug a massive hole on the other side of the bridge, thus eroding the foundation! Grrrr! As construction continued on the house, I gathered all the scrap chunks of concrete from the jobsite and dropped them in this new hole. I was able to fill it up to about 10" below the water level. Ever since then, everything has been great. My rocks don't move, the ride across them is much smoother, the fish in the creek have 10,000 new nooks and crannies to hide in and all is well on Tabernacle Farm.


Tabernacle Farm Blog Archives

2017   SEP, OCT, NOV, DEC